I am a “Big Picture Person.”
I always have a long-term goal in mind with every subject.
In addition, I keep a focus on the birth through high school graduation process of teaching each subject.
Everything isn’t accomplished in every year. I have thirteen years to reach my goals for each child’s reading.
Here are my long-term goals for my children in the area of reading:
- They will enjoy reading as a hobby.
- They will love and read the Bible daily for the rest of their lives.
- They will be avid readers of all types of books and reading material: excellent literature, poetry, historical fiction, non-fiction, inspirational books, biographies, plays, short stories, newspapers, magazines, occupational journals, and reference books.
- They will read quickly with good comprehension.
- They will use reading skillfully to learn and research.
- They will patronize the library wisely.
- They will be able to summarize what they have read verbally and in writing clearly and concisely.
- They will read aloud clearly, vividly and expressively, keeping their audience’s attention. This is a lost art in our time.
- They will critique all reading material with God’s Word as the standard.
- They will read books that are helpful and uplifting.
- They will avoid reading material that is degrading.
- They will discern the worldview of a book’s author ALWAYS!
- They will read and understand directions, recipes, instructions, warranties, legal contracts, and legislative papers.
So what are you goals for reading? Goals will lead you to planning year by year.
If you would like to see my reading lists, please visit my website, Joyful and Successful Homeschooling.
You can download these reading lists and use them over the years.
We are constantly updating them, so if you have a favorite, please share it.
Joyful and Successful Homeschooling is a resource that I have written for you! It covers the basics of homeschooling, as well as family life, choosing curriculum, getting along with your children, how to teach, organization, learning styles, philosophies of education, and a chapter on how to teach each subject. Joyful and Successful Homeschooling brings you into our home and lets you peek at our homeschooling journey. Joyful and Successful Homeschooling is available at Amazon. The E-book is available at PayHip and Currclick. A companion study guide/Bible study is available, too, at Currclick.
May God bless and keep you and help you in every step of the homeschool adventure.