What is Inductive Bible Study?
Inductive Bible study is an approach to studying the Bible, using the Bible itself as the primary source about what the Bible teaches. You dig into the passage itself, using other passages from Scripture for further clarification. You investigate the Bible using observation, interpretation, and application skills. Get out a pen and paper for this new adventure into the study of God's Word!
- Who is writing the book where this passage is found?
- Who is mentioned in this passage of Scripture?
- Who is speaking in the passage?
- What are people doing in the passage?
- What is being discussed in this passage?
- What is the setting (time and place)?
- Who is the original audience?
CONTEXT How does this passage relate to the rest of the book?
REPETITION of WORDS (Joy is used repeatedly in the book of Philippians, Water & food are mentioned a lot in John 4)
CONTRASTS ("But, ....")
CAUSE and EFFECT ("so that...." or "for....")